W&M approved weighing electronics: robust and efficient
Boskalis Environmental specializes in the large-scale cleaning of contaminated soil and mineral waste. The result of this process is re-usable material for infrastructure projects, such as road construction. In Alkmaar, the Netherlands, Boskalis has installed a soil washing plant with a belt scale designed by DOSCO. The scale is operated with the robust W&M approved IT3 weighing terminals from SysTec.
The key facts
- W&M approved belt scale for soil weighing
- Via PROFINET, the SysTec weighing terminal is connected to a PLC system that controls the scale
- After soil cleaning, up to 90% of the previously contaminated soil can be used again
- In total, Boskalis cleans between 500,000 and 600,000 tons of contaminated material annually
Belt scale with SysTec weighing electronics
Copyright photo: DOSCO
Recycling plant with belt weigher
Since the late 1980s, Boskalis Environmental has been cleaning contaminated soil and other mineral wastes. The recycling process consists of extractive cleaning, which separates the coarse from the fine constituents by fractional splitting. The „clean“ fraction of the treated soil, which consists of larger particles such as sand and gravel, can then be reused for sustainability purposes, such as construction projects.
After soil washing, the contamination is concentrated in a smaller portion of the total volume of contaminated soil or sediment (in the fine fraction). This portion can then be more easily disposed of or further treated (e.g., by consolidation or stabilization).
Precision and economic efficiency are crucial for Boskalis Environmental. Therefore, the incoming soil material is weighed on a legal-for-trade conveyor belt scale designed by the renowned scale manufacturer DOSCO. The W&M approval is a prerequisite for invoicing the customer soil quantity.
The belt scale has a speedometer unit: the signals from the speed sensor and the belt scale are sent to a transmitter. This calculates belt speed, delivery rate and flow rate.
Another special feature: the IT3 weighing terminal is connected via PROFINET to a PLC system that controls the plant.
“For our industrial scales, we use weighing electronics from SysTec. Especially for outdoor use, robust stainless steel weighing terminals are important. The intuitive operation and interface capability are features that we value in SysTec,“ says Johan Dermout, Sales & Project Manager at DOSCO.
“For every belt scale application, SysTec has the right weighing terminal. For example, when a high degree of customization is required, we use a freely programmable IT8000E. The device can be adapted exactly to customer requirements. The SysTec weighing electronics offer us as scale builders a lot of freedom in the choice of load cells, force application and speed transducer,“ adds Johan Dermout.
- Compact device with very good price/performance ratio
- Smooth operation: excellent usability, bright 5“ color screen for weight display, operator dialogs and calibration
- W&M approved for use as non-automatic weighing instrument NAWI / AGFI
- Rugged stainless steel housing (ingress protection IT3: IP69K; IT3 Ex2/22: IP65),
- Different housings / designs: for wall-mount/desk-top and panel-mount installation
- Easy integration into PC networks or fieldbus systems
- ATEX: for installation in EXzones the IT3 Ex2/22 version is ideal